Sunday, September 27, 2009

preschool!

I can hardly believe it, but our Millie is now a preschooler! Is she really that old??



She was SO nervous the morning before; she could hardly sit still, and she kept looking like she was about ready to cry! When I asked her if she was nervous about being there without me, she ran into my arms and said, "Yes!! I'm scared about you leaving!" I just told her that it was perfectly OK to be afraid but that I knew she was a brave girl and I knew she'd have so much fun. When I walked in to pick her up afterward, she ran over and gave me a hug and said, "Mommy, I didn't even worry about you at all!!!" :) Then on the next day she told me about a little boy who was crying because he wanted his mommy so much, and she said, "But I didn't even want my Mommy." Then she stopped and said, "Well, I mean... I didn't... I did miss you, but..." I think she was worried that she would hurt my feelings! Of course this first big step away is bittersweet, but I'm so proud of her and I'm just thrilled by her confidence!



There are two other girls in her class, and four boys. She and Emma, the other four-year-old girl, have already become buddies. Emma's mom told me that Emma said Millie is her new best friend! I am so happy - she's been a bit lonely for friends since we moved away from our townhouse complex.



Of course, Millie says her favorite part of preschool is her teacher, Amy! She just adores her! We have to drive a 1/2 hour each way to get to this preschool, but it's so worth it - Amy is great. (Ironically, Emma - Millie's new friend - lives just a few blocks from us!) They've already done so many fun activities and learned so much. I especially like the alphabet program she's using (The Amazing Action Alphabet). It's super fun, plus Millie really remembers the letters and sounds learning them this way.



We are so proud of our big-girl preschooler, and I think this is going to be a wonderful year for her!

3 comments:

The Clarks said...

That is so exciting - congrats on preschool Millie! It must be crazy to have her gone for part of the day. I was nearly in tears reading about how she "didn't miss you". As a mother it is what you hope for, but at the same time kinda heartbreaking to see them grow up and gain more independence. Those days are already approaching too quickly with Elise :(

We need to get together sometime before I pop!!! Email me so we can set something up!

Kristin said...

Isnt it really bittersweet having kids grow up? I am glad that she is loving preschool, I know Amy is so glad to have Millie there!

Lauren said...

Great job, Millie!! I knew she would love preschool, and I so wish she and Margot could be together. They would certainly be BFF!!

We miss you guys! xo