Wednesday, March 28, 2007

dogs and kids

I've always been careful around dogs with Millie, but when I know the dog I've always let it get close and lick her and let her pet it and play with it. My sister and her husband have always done the same. But the night before last, when they were playing outside, their neighbor's dog (who they know and who has always been excellent with kids) suddenly went crazy. One minute it was licking Ashton's face (he's the almost-four-year-old) and the next it was attacking him. When his dad tried to stop the dog, it turned on him and Gavin (the four-month-old baby) who he was holding. Once James was able to get both kids in his arms and run inside, the dog started trying to bite its owner! They have NO idea what happened. It just went crazy.

The kids both got bit pretty badly -- Ashton on his eye, forehead and ear; Gavin on his shoulder (poor sweet baby had to get 7 stitches) -- but thank God, they are both OK. They are so so lucky and we feel so thankful that neither of them were hurt worse. It's been a tough few days, though, and it was obviously quite traumatizing for all of them. Let me tell you, though -- I am so impressed with the resilience of both of those boys! They're such troopers and are both so brave. Keep them all in your prayers / thoughts / etc., ok?

It's such a tough line to walk between being careful with dogs and making Millie afraid of them. I love dogs, and want Millie to grow up loving them too, but it's so scary when even a familiar dog can do something like this! Hopefully we'll be able to figure out that balance as she grows. How have all of you dealt with dogs and kids?

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Oh Carrie, that is awful!! I am so sorry - I will be sending your sweet newphews lots of healing vibes!

I can't even imagine how terrified I would be if a dog starting attacking me while I was holding my child. Your poor BIL.

Keep us posted!

The Clarks said...

That is so terrible! We have two dogs and that has been one of our major concerns since we are expecting a baby soon. We have read up on the best ways to introduce the two and how to set boundries early on (thank you Cesar Millan, Dog Whisperer). I feel pretty confident that it will go well, especially since we have had the dogs since they were 8 weeks old, but I will still never leave the baby and dogs together alone.

Our thoughts are with Ashton and Gavin ~