Thursday, February 22, 2007

welcome to flu season



This has been a horrible year for stomach viruses; the kids around here have been going down one right after the other with long, yucky illnesses. I was starting to think Millie was one of the lucky kids and was going to avoid it, but she started throwing up Saturday night and has had it just as bad as all the other kids. The poor little darling has just been miserable!

The doctors said to push fluids and feed her the B.R.A.T. diet, which of course is easier said than done when everything going in comes right back up! She finally kept some food, water and Pedialyte down last evening, though,and a little bit again this morning. I am SO glad that we are still breastfeeding; she's wanted to nurse for comfort a lot more than usual, and as that's one of the only things that will stay in her stomach most of the time, it's kept her from dehydrating too badly. She has lost a lot of weight, though. I hope it will just be temporary and that she'll gain it all back once she's feeling better and eating normally again; I'd be so sad if her baby chubbiness was gone for good. I know that will happen eventually, of course, but it would be so sad to have it all gone in one shot!

Today's the fifth day of being sick, which is about when most of the kids have been starting to feel a little better, and that seems to be bearing out in her case, too. She even felt like giving me a little smile this morning.



I hope today's the last day - it's just been heartbreaking to see her so miserable!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Poor baby girl! Though, I have to say that she's even cute when she's sick. I hope she feels better soon! XOXO

natalie johansen said...

give Millie a HUGE kiss for me! It makes me so sad to see little people get sick... I hope she is better very soon!

Lauren said...

Oh, I am so sorry!! Are you hanging in there ok?

Hopefully she will be back to normal very soon.

She is looking so much like a big girl now, instead of a baby!!

The Clarks said...

That is so sad! We were wanting to meet up with you guys for lunch this weekend but it looks like we may have to delay it . . . taking a sick baby out in public wouldn't be the easiest thing to do :) Hang in there!

Fran Jensen said...

Sorry she's sick, but glad she's on the mend. Take care of yourself too. This too shall pass.