Thursday, February 01, 2007

sleep

So... Millie has pretty much started refusing to sleep. Nothing that used to work to get her to sleep is working, and nothing new has made any difference. At first I thought perhaps she was outgrowing a nap already, but it's obvious that she still needs one: she keeps going and going until she crashes at around 4:00, and then of course is up until 11:00 or midnight because of having such a late nap. If we skip the nap altogether, she'll go to sleep by 8:30-ish, but she's falling-down exhausted all evening and then sleeps poorly all night because of being overtired, so that doesn't work. Sometimes if I drive around in the car around noon she'll fall asleep, but lately even that is hit or miss.

Add all this not-sleeping to the tantrums caused by not sleeping, then add to that the normal toddler clinginess and the night-waking, and you have one exhausted mama.

Anyone have ideas? :)

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Carrie,

Have you tried laying down with Millie when you try to give her a nap? I don't know if she is sleeping in her crib or co-sleeping with you, but you might consider snuggling with her on your bed for a nap and see if she (and maybe you!) could squeeze in even half an hour during the day.

My only other suggestion is letting her nap for short periods of time, maybe just twenty or thirty minutes when she does nap, and then waking her up. There are many days when we wake Margot from her nap so she will not be wide awake when bedtime comes.

The car (sadly!) does not put Margot to sleep anymore either. She just loves to watch everything outside so much! Even at night time, it is pretty hard pressed to get her asleep in the car.

I wish I could be more help! Good luck and hang in there - you are an amazing Mom!!

carrie said...

Lauren,

For naptime, Millie generally falls asleep in my bed, then gets moved to hers, but sometimes I will just take a nap with her in my bed: that usually results in a nice long nap for both of us! Unfortunately, it's the getting to sleep that's the issue right now. We'll have to make sure to do the short-nap thing when she falls asleep late; I'm sure that woud help with bedtime.

I keep reminding myself that it's probably just a phase and will pass like so many other things. :)

Thanks for the encouragement... I appreciate it!