
We chose to send her to Santa Clara Elementary, which is a public school in the next town over (just a five minute drive); we were very unimpressed with the kindergarten teachers at the school here in Ivins - plus Santa Clara has better test scores AND a fabulous music program. It's only been three days (plus an open house and a testing appointment) but so far we are really happy with our decision.

On the first day of school, Millie got all dressed in her favorite new dress with the heart buttons, we took pictures, and then we walked into the classroom to find that the office had forgotten to tell us when we registered (we registered late, since we had switched schools) that the first day of school for kindergarteners was just an open house! So we went back an hour later for some fun activities with Mrs. Heger and Millie's classmates. On Monday she had her testing appointment with her teacher, and then Wednesday she finally started school for real!

The first real day of school was red day! Millie thought that was fabulous, since red is her favorite color. She was so nervous the night before that she could hardly sleep, and that morning she kept saying, "I don't want to go to kindergarten! I'm too scared!" But when it came time to line up to go into the classroom, she was so excited and went right in with a great big smile.

The second day (which I don't have pictures of) turned out to be much harder. We'd had a rough start to the morning, as Millie had needed to go to the doctor and then had to go straight from the doctor to school. She would have been fine, but when it was time to finish playing on the playground and line up for class, Millie couldn't see me, and she was afraid I'd already left! I felt so bad. She was crying and didn't want to leave me, which of course made it so hard for me to want to leave her! But her teacher came over and gave her a big hug and told her all about the fun things they were going to do that day, and then the little girl in this picture - Tallulah - came up to Millie and held her hand, and asked if she wanted to be friends. It was so sweet. So she went in to class that day with a few sniffles, but came running out after class with a giant smile.

Millie adores her teacher, Mrs. Heger, and we think she is great too! She's everything you hope for in a kindergarten teacher: positive, loving, and enthusiastic, and she is the school's reading specialist. That was my main problem with the teachers we met at Red Mountain; they barely interacted with the kids at the open house - in fact, they seemed annoyed with the kids, and like they were totally jaded! So having Mrs. Heger be SO enthusiastic and sweet with Millie really validated our decision to send her to Santa Clara.

Millie was so excited for Friday, because Friday is spirit day, and all the kids wear their "Santa Clara Cougars" t-shirts. I think she really felt like she was a part of something. I love that!

I kind of thought I might cry when I dropped Millie off for her first day - it's such a huge milestone!! - but I made it through without tears. :) This week I've been sorting through our pictures, though, and I will admit that a few tears have been shed as I've seen so many adorable pictures from when she was one and two and three and I've seen all at once how much she's growing, and I realized how much I miss that irrepressible toddler. But of course the feeling is bittersweet, because I am completely in love with the big grown-up girl she is now, and I am so excited to continue watching her grow. I love my big kindergarten girl!!!

3 comments:
I was nearly shedding tears just reading. That is so wonderful that you have the option to send her to a different school other than the one in Ivins - the teacher really does make all the difference, especially when they are so young and just forming their attitude about school. We totally need to catch up one of these days - soon! Did you get the email invite to Elise's party? It not, let me know and I will send you the details!
These are such sweet pictures! She looks so pretty and grown up :) I hope she's still enjoying herself! Love you!
My goodness, Millie is so beautiful!! We really don't have baby girls anymore, do we! I am so glad you have found a school that you all love. We will be sending Margot next week and I am already feeling a bit anxious.
We miss you guys!!
Post a Comment