She got really sick about three weeks ago, and the vet diagnosed her with kidney failure. He said we could attempt to boost her kidneys by flushing her system, so every couple of hours I gave her watered-down food, electrolyte solution and water through a syringe. It seemed to be working after a few days, but she didn't improve beyond those first few improvements, and by last Friday she was going downhill again quickly and it was clear that she wasn't going to make it.
The last 24 hours of her life she didn't want me to leave her side, and I held her for most of it. Early yesterday morning (she had been sleeping under our bed) she used up what must have been the very last bit of strength to meow for me, and I found her and brought her up next to me to cuddle. I held her and she cuddled up to me for about an hour, and then she passed away in my arms. It was so incredibly difficult to hold her and watch her go and know there was nothing I could do but love her. I was so glad, though, that she wanted me with her in those last moments rather than hiding somewhere alone, and I am comforted that she went peacefully, held and loved by her family.
These last few days have been so hard. She was such a special kitty and she and I had such a strong connection. she was more than just our cat - she was our friend, and she will be very, very missed.

Rest peacefully, sweetest Dancer. We love you so much, and you'll always be in our hearts.

5 comments:
I am so sorry to hear that! I can barely even type this because my eyes are so watery. She was such a sweet cat and that must have been sooooo hard to go through, but you are right. At least her last days and hours you were with her and she knew that she was loved.
She was such a fun cat. I remember her always sitting on my books when I would try to do homework and then snuggling on my chest when I would just give up and lay down. She will be missed.
Oh, I am so sorry, Carrie. Reading about you holding her made me cry! She was a very sweet kitty and lucky to have you as her Mama.
As Trisha said, she will be very missed. We love you guys!
xoxo
I'm so sorry Carrie. I send you lots of love and comfort.
Sweet little Dancer...I'm so happy that you took her in all those years ago and gave her a happy home and a loving family. Even though we're so far away we'll miss her. Lots of love...
Thanks for all your love and support, guys. I appreciate it and it's comforting to remember how many people loved little Dancer.
I love and miss you all!
xoxo
Post a Comment